APR 28: Bad news

NewMexiKen
Administrator
No adults or eaglet were observed at the nest since early this morning. No calls to suggest a grounded eaglet. Wildlife rescue was contacted. FWC and a volunteer searched the area around the nest tree extensively but did not find the eaglet. They saw two large burrows nearby which may have been dens of Coyote or fox. Raccoons also scavenge for prey remains under eagle nests. We must presume that the eaglet has perished, but observers will watch for behavior of adults if they return and also continue to listen hopefully for cries of an eaglet.

Re: APR 28: Bad news

NotToofast
Thanks for the update Dr Ken. Very sad news indeed. We can only hope. The only comfort is that thanks to the Swift actions of Lazaro, Phill and other volunteers the other eaglet is having a second chance. Thanks to them and to the Pelican Harbor organization.

Re: APR 28: Bad news

NewMexiKen
Administrator
Yes, Jorge-- Kudos to Phil, Luis and Lazaro who have been keeping faithful and continuous watch all through the dramatic events surrounding the construction and occupancy of the new nest.

I do not wish to create false expectations, but there is a glimmer of hope worth considering---

At this point it is presumed that the eaglet has not survived. She did have considerable development of flight feathers, as evidences in the photo which shows them trailing out over the left edge of the nest, but I could not document their length in any of the hundreds of photos I took of the nest the day before she disappeared. Could we have miscalculated her age? She occasionally flapped wings but did not venture out on branches ("branching"), which usually occurs about 6-7 days before first flight.

Nest watchers will continue to observe the behavior of the adults and listen for any calls from an eaglet, though there is not much optimism that she has expired.

Re: APR 28: Bad news

NewMexiKen
Administrator
Here is a link to my latest weekly blog. It includes several photos of the nest from the day before the eaglet disappeared. I wrote it before learning of the loss of the second eaglet but added an update at the end of the post:

Eaglets Down

https://rosy-finch.blogspot.com/2021/04/eaglets-down.html

Re: APR 28: Bad news

naturegirl
It is very sad but it could have been prevented. There was no way the tiny bit of nest was going to hold and the second eaglet should have been rescued the same day as it was obvious this would happen, Hopefully if this situation ever happens again all eaglets will be rescued. It just didn't make sense to do nothing. I hope the eaglet in rehab can be taught to fly and hunt and return to the wild a life in captivity is a prison sentence

Re: APR 28: Bad news

JesseG8r
Very sad to hear this news. I see the report has been entered in the EagleWatch survey. Thanks to all the volunteers who tried so hard for a good outcome. I'll stop by tomorrow and watch for a bit, but it doesn't sound hopeful.