Any update on the second eaglet

naturegirl
Is the second eaglet alive? Doing better? What caused the first eaglet to be anemic not enough food or not enough nutrtion from the food the parents provided ? So much is contaminated so no wonder the eaglets nutrition was lacking

Re: Any update on the second eaglet-- Good News!

NewMexiKen
Administrator
On 6/12/2021 2:24 PM Shawnlei Breeding, Florida Audubon EagleWatch  Coordinator wrote:
 Hi Ken,

The Clinic staff texted me today to say the surviving eaglet from your nest has beaten the odds with its fracture and is flying well in our flight barn. He is ready for release! At this stage, the longer they remain in captivity, the higher the risk that they injure themselves so time is of the essence and the clinic would like to release him as soon as possible.

 Most juveniles are making their way north on their first migration at this point. We feel it would be best to release him in our area to avoid the long drive back south to be released. I wanted to make sure you were ok with this. If so, we’ll likely release him at Joe Overstreet Landing on Lake Kissimmee where there is a large population of Eagles and an abundant food source. We’ve successfully used this location for other fledgling releases and have been thrilled to hear about their band resightings 2-3 years after release. So we feel confident in the release location.

 Weather permitting, the release will likely occur tomorrow or Monday morning. We will videotape it so it can be shared with the folks there. And anyone willing to make the drive up on short notice would be welcome to join us to watch the release. If that’s the case please send me their contact info as soon as possible so we can keep them in the loop as the plans are finalized (and sometimes change at the last minute).

 Thanks!

 Shawnlei

I replied:

That is great news, Shawnlei! I (and other local watchers I have discussed this with) agree that there would be too much risk in releasing the eaglet anywhere near its Pembroke Pines nest. Aside from the stress of travel, there is danger from urban traffic and power lines. She* should now be independent and will probably just head north anyway. *(Was sex confirmed? We were assuming PP 26 was a female because of the large size and the way the nestmate was so submissive)

Will look forward to seeing the video of its release

Thanks!

Re: Any update on the second eaglet-- Good News!

Suedm
Hooray! At least we were able to save 1 of them thanks to our vigilant nest watchers…
Than you to all involved!

Susan

On Jun 12, 2021, at 2:51 PM, NewMexiKen [via Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Any-update-on-the-second-eaglet-tp7576256p7576257.html
To start a new topic under CURRENT (2019-Present) Observations of Pembroke Pines Bald Eagle Nest BO-002, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.
NAML

Re: Any update on the second eaglet-- Good News!

naturegirl
EXCELLENT NEWS so happy at least one made it and thanks to the never give up attitude of all those involved